Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for August 14th, 2011

Today I finished knitting yet another hat. I had a few minor difficulties at first with the pattern, but Kara helped me sort them out. (Thanks!!! πŸ˜€ ) And so I can now proudly present my “Blinky” hat:

Blinky

In case you aren’t familiar with Blinky, he is the cute 3 eyed fish from The Simpsons. He lives in the river near the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant and that very Power Plant also is the reason for his unusual number of eyes. πŸ˜‰

K. modeling Blinky

The pattern for Blinky is from ravelry and it’s just awesome.Β  Of course in order to make it look like Blinky I had to modify it quite a bit.

The yarn and needles I used for the pattern were a smaller size than specified in the pattern, so I also had to modify the short rows which are used toΒ  shape the mouth. I cast on 120 stitches and so that’s what I used for the short rows:

Row 1 [RS]: K36, W&T.
Row 2 [WS]: P12, W&T.
Row 3 [RS]: K13, W&T.
Row 4 [WS]: P14, W&T.
Row 5 [RS]: K15, W&T.
Row 6 [WS]: P16, W&T.
Row 7 [RS]: K17, W&T.
Row 8 [WS]: P20, W&T.
Row 9 [RS]: K24, W&T.
Row 10 [WS]: P28, W&T.

Row 11 [RS]: K32, W&T.
Row 12 [WS]: P36, W&T.
Row 13 [RS]: K40, W&T.
Row 14 [WS]: P44, W&T.
Row 15 [RS]: K48, W&T.
Row 16 [WS]: P52, W&T.

Repeat those short rows on the back part of the hat. Then follow the pattern. For the decreases for the fish tail I always just did a second decrease round about half and inch before the one specified in the pattern. I did that till the number of stitches on my needles matched those in the pattern. Then I just continued according to pattern.

I knit the pectoral fins as specified in the pattern. Well I didn’t do the 1×1 rib, but worked in stockinette stitch. Except in the last row I increased to 40 stitches by knitting into the front and back of each stitch. Then I worked a kind of feather and fan pattern before casting off. For the feather and fan I knit *YO, K1 4 times, K 2 tog 3 times*.

Blinky and Kitty πŸ˜‰

For the dorsal fin I also followed the pattern where the increases are concerned. But instead of doing 10 rows of 1×1 ribbing I worked k5, p2, k7,p2, k7, p2, k5 for 10 rows. Then in the last row I increased to 60 stitches by knitting into the front and back of each stitch. Then I worked the same kind of feather and fan pattern I did for the pectora fins before casting off.

For the eyes I used these instructions… only I used an old sock as fabric for the eyes and embroidered the black dot with some left over yarn. For my eyelids I cast on 20 stitches and then knit in stockinette stitch increasing by 2 stitches in every knit row till I had 26 stitches.

Well, I guess that’s it. At any rate I can’t remember which other modifications I did. So here is Blinky and also a lot more pics on rav.: http://ravel.me/aravis83/isg2m

Read Full Post »